Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Sunday, August 2, 2009

So, I am Still Waiting...

As I sit here and wait (yes, my last post was just completed a short time ago), something very close to my heart flashed as breaking news on the plasma tv screen....the remains of Navy Captain Scott Speicher were found in Iraq. He was shot down the night of the first Iraqi invasion back on January 16, 1991. Besides the fact he was shot down the first night as was labeled as MIA then KIA when the war was over, he was born and grew up in Kansas City.
I was in high school when the war broke out...one of my uncles was in the Marine Corps and I am not sure, but I don't think he was deployed until after the start of the Gulf War. Anyhow, I remember watching on TV the first night and I remember hearing about the missing pilot. So, he has been missing for 18 years and from I have heard over the years is that his remains were never found and supposedly he had been spotted in captivity. His remains were found in Iraq...he was identified with he jaw bone. Without any regards to political beliefs this man was a husband, father, son, grandson, friend and a hero...at least to me. There are many definitions of hero to many of us, but for me, Capt Michael Scott Speicher is a hero.
Okay, well, I think their plane is a little late...suppposedly to be here in a about 10 minutes. I better shut-down and keep my eyes out for them!

1 comment:

Jennifer Magreevy said...

I read this as well today, and it breaks my heart to know that his family has gone that long without truly knowing what happened. Hopefully this will not open up the wound again and will allow them to celebrate his life. Ironically, there is an Army post in Iraq named after Captain Speicher, called Camp Speicher. My husband will be stationed there for his 6-month deployment starting in September.